Friday, December 17, 2010

Wish we had one at home......

One of the famous things to do at the holidays in Vienna is to go to a "Christmas market". They are very touristy but I'm sure a lot of locals still come to see the sights and get into the spirit. There are a few different markets in town but we went to the largest/most famous one at the Rathausplatz. I loved the HUGE Christmas tree and the massive light display. The lights reminded me of Freemont Street in Las Vegas. The market is open all day until around 9pm and you can find everything from food, crafts (like Christmas items), candles, jewelry and alcohol. There are bunches of punch stands where they sell various warm alcohol drinks. Some are made with wine and others with rum. On a cold night it warms you up! On that note I'm leaving the hotel now to get some more punch! (pics of the lights etc will get added when I get back-I'm writing this on my phone)

I wish we had something like this at home. I know outdoor craft fairs are similar but those aren't every day with a warm alcoholic drink you can walk around with. :)

No comments: