Saturday, May 9, 2009

Poor Dexy......


Dexter (the blonde cat towards the front in this picture) has had a rough couple of days. Back on Thursday you may recall he barfed in Travis' bed not once but twice that night. Well when he did the same thing at 11pm on Friday night I knew we had a problem. (not to mention the fact I was running out of sheets for Travis' bed since a bunch were still dirty-after the last time on Friday night I closed his door to avoid a repeat performance)

So when Travis and I got up on Saturday morning we started looking for Dex.....he was nowhere to be found. We looked under couches, beds etc but couldn't find him! It was around this time I made him an appointment at the vet. After almost an hour I found him laying on the wood floor in the computer room-not sure if he was there the whole time but there he was nonetheless. I took him downstairs so I could watch him closely and he promptly barfs a pile of bile (that rhymed) on the couch. Ew. Then he went to use the litterbox and went upstairs to get some water. He drank a bunch of wter which made me happy but then he promptly threw that up too. So I locked him in the bathroom and went to get the cat cage then since I was afraid he would hide and be hard to catch.

When we got to the vet they did the normal exam stuff. HIs heart and lungs sounded good and he didn't have a temperature. Travis apparently didn't know you take cats' temps in their bums-he thought this was the funniest thing he had ever seen. The vet said he didn't seem constipated (which was a relief since MegaColon is what got Shadow so sick a few years ago) and she wanted an x-ray. The x-ray showed a few odd areas-first he had some air in his colon, a spot in his colon that looked "wierd" that could be an abstruction and his stomach looked wierd to her for some reason I can't remember. She said he was also really dehaydrated and suggested we leave him there over night for IV fluids and some blood work. We said goodbye to our trooper and left.

Later in the afternoon the Doctor called and said his blood results were almost all completely normal. His white blood count was a little elevated but nothing that really concerened her. She said he was comfortable after getting a pain pill, some fluids and a Pepcid (who knew?). She is going to call us in the morning. Hopefully the next x-ray shows imrpovement and we can bring him home. If it doens't we are talking surgery for that wierd spot in his colon. :(

No comments: