Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hungry Girl's Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Here is my bowl of gumbo right before I DEVOURED it.  Now let me tell you--I have never been a gumbo fan--or any other New Orleans soup style dish for that matter.  Evan wasn't sure I would like it (he says this while eating bowl #2 out of 3 ha ha).  I wasn't too sure either...I don't like many of the things in there--okra, green peppers, tomatoes, celery when it's cooked and Cajun seasonings.  They are all generally on my "gross" list but somehow when all mixed up with the spices, chicken sausage and chicken they were really GOOD!  Travis even ate the chicken and sausage-though he said they were "good but VERY spicy!"  I will certainly make this again and the fact that it's a crock pot meal made it even better!  It was ready for dinner and I had thrown it all in there at around 11am!  Plus I baked a loaf of herb bread on the side and man did the house smell good this afternoon!  A one cup serving of the gumbo is 117 calories and only 4 grams of fat!  I had 1 1/2 cups and 2 slices of my bread.  My total meal was under 500 calories and more than 1/2 of it was the bread!  LOL  This recipe is definitely a keeper.  I once again couldn't find it online or on her site so I didn't think it would be right to share it.  :(

No comments: